Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Membership has it's price

I purchased a used 1999 Lexus LS400 two years ago and it's been great. In fact, it's the nicest car I've owned even though I got it with well over 100k miles on it. I've taken it in for oil changes at the dealer where the previous owner took it and time and time again they tell me the car needs nothing. That was soon to end.

This time they tell me I need new brakes all around and the back ones have 1000 miles left. Wow, these guys must be good if they can give an estimate like that! Actually my wife took the car so I'm sure they said that to freak her out so she would agree to the work. Oh yeah, this could be done for the tune of $1250. Ouch!

Then they tell us we need to get the trans fluid, the coolant and the differential fluid flushed - for a mere $550 more. In my best Dr. Evil voice...."riiiiiiiiiiight."

I can do all this work done myself for considerably less - for about 20% of the stealer's estimate.

That same day I took the wife's car to get the oil changed and while wasting time I look around on the used car lot. Then I come across this car:

This is a 2005 Lexus LS430 with the sport package - the next car I'd like to own. I actually like this color a lot mainly because it's not as common as the silver/black/white/gold I usually see.
So I'm peering through the window and the car beeps as if someone unlocked it. I backed off because I thought the porter was going to move the car. He tosses me the keys and tells me to take a look since he's just moving cars around. Pfft - heck, can't say no to that! I got in the car, turned the key and the mirrors unfolded themselves as the steering wheel moved into position. I fired up the engine so I could play around with the gadgets. This thing had everything from navigation, heated/cooled seats, and even the electric sunshade on the back window. Nice - I could get used to this... but it wouldn't be today. As I handed the keys back to the porter he told me "you should buy it, you look good in it!"
If it was only that simple.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home