Monday, August 13, 2007

Vulcan done and returned

I'm a little late to getting around to posting this, but at least it's done. The carbs put up a pretty good fight during reinstallation. But lucky me, I got to do that fight about 3 times! I figured out kinda how they go in, got them in place and then realized I forgot to reinstall the choke cable. FRICK. Pulled them back out, but not completely, and got the choke cable back in (~30 mins).

Then I wrestled to get the carbs back in - again. I now had trouble getting the band clamps in place. This one time, in band clamp... oh wait.. a half hour later they were back in. SUCCESS!

Onto the air box reinstallation. These suckers came right off, but would they go back in just as easy? Hell no, of course not! The rubber snorkels needed to be fit in and until I found a trick to get them to fit right I was really frustrated. One side took about 40 minutes, the other side took about 10 mins.

The gas tank went on pretty easily - just had to attach a couple fuel lines, vacuum line, a vent line, and the electrical connection for the fuel guage.

Moment of truth - fuel switched on, pulled the choke lever, turn the key, and.......... YES! Fired right up after the gas filled up the carbs. The engine seemed nice and strong, and the bonus was that no fuel was dumping out the front header.

I did a couple of laps around the block and all the power was back and it runs like a top. I was happy to give a call to my coworker and he swung by to pick it up shortly thereafter.

The Vulcan may have won many "battles" against me by putting up a fight with those carbs and airboxes - but I consider myself the victor. If you know anyone who needs work on a VN750 Vulcan, don't mention my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home