Sunday, September 24, 2006

17 days and counting...

I try to go on a road trip once a year and so far I've been able to do that. Last year I did my trip early in the year and this time it'll be late in the year. So needless to say it's been almost eighteen months since I've been able to hit the road.

On October 11th I will be heading to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Yeah yeah - it sounds like some hillbilly hangout, but I've heard from multiple people that it's a sweet area to do some scenic riding. It's a group ride organized by a local who has been doing this for about 20 yrs. So far it looks like over 30 people will be attending - should be a blast.

I also am usually able to do some sort of upgrade or enhancement to my steed every year. The gel seat, larger windscreen and my detachable hard luggage were all welcome add-ons for long distance riding. I decided it was finally time to upgrade my GPS. The model I had works well, but is limited in the memory department. You need more memory to store the street level detail so you can find gas stations and restaurants - as well as being able to search for addresses. This new one has removable memory cards so if you get the largest capacity - you can essentially hold the data for the entire United States and Canada....nice. For now the 128 mb card that is included is able to hold about 10x more than the old one.

Oh yeah - this one also has a larger, color touch screen. I fully admit I'm a gadget geek. I use the GPS everyday while commuting - it has a super accurate speedometer and if I'm stuck in traffic I can easily find an alternate route even if I'm not familiar with the area.

Here's a pic of the new toy. The top speed was achieved on a closed course (ha!)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home